Buying a home can be overwhelming. There are so many things to think about from financing to finding a home to homeowners insurance. Homeownership counseling will walk you through the process from beginning to end.
Why Use a Housing Counselor?
A housing counselor represents the interests of the buyer. Unlike the seller, loan officer, or real estate agent, housing counselors have no financial stake in your decision to buy a home, how much you spend, or what loan you use. Housing counseling is offered for free by many nonprofit organizations including Belair-Edison Neighborhoods, Inc.
Housing Counselors will:
- Give you an overall view of the home buying process and help you determine where you are in the process.
- Discuss the advantages and responsibilities of homeownership, including home maintenance.
- Get your credit report, help you analyze it, and assist you in correcting any trouble areas.
- Help you determine how much house you can afford.
- Educate you on how to select and work with a real estate agent.
- Help you determine how much to offer for a house.
- Work with you to understand the sales contract.
- Help you decide where to apply for a loan. Interest rages and cash requirements may vary from lender to lender, but the housing counselor knows all the ins and outs of CDA, FHA, Conventional loans, and special programs for first time buyers.
- Help you prepare for your loan application.
Ready to start the homebuying process? Then why don’t you sign up for one of our monthly homebuyers workshops!
You can also call BENI at 410.485.8422 to schedule a one-on-one appointment with one of our certified housing counselors.